neděle 20. listopadu 2011

RSC: Macbeth (1979)

I like Shakespeare. No...I'd better say that I like plays of Shakespeare though I don't fully understand them. Since I am not a native speaker, English is my secondary language and I haven't bothered to read Czech translations yet, it is quite understandable. Anyway, before I try to read some of his works in Czech, I've decided to watch several performances. And what is better than adaptations of the Royal Shakespeare Company...

This film adaptation (or more likely a filmed theatre production) of the tragedy of Macbeth from 1979 doesn't belong to those rich and expensive ones which can stun the audience just with sumptuous costumes and decorations. Actually, the production is very cheap but every pound was used wisely. The setting of the story gives me the shivers every time I watch it - dark, gloomy and mysterious. Moreover, actors wear mostly black costumes in the style of 19-20. century, some of them use white greasepaints to emphasize the horror atmosphere of the tragedy.

Now, let's concentrate on the story itself - the cast and direction. Macbeth played by Ian McKellen is perfect. Gestures, expressions, subtle changes of mood or hints - he simply persuades You that everything he says or does, he really means like that. You believe him his noble attitudes and devotion as well as madness, insanity and "bloodthirst". All those superlatives belong also to Judi Dench as Lady Macbeth. Her lust for the crown followed by her fall and sheer lunacy is incredible. These two actors keep very high standard of the whole performance and fulfil the potentials of the characters to the top.

Moreover, other characters deserve all the praise as well, especially Three Witches, Doorman, Ross or Banquo. Director Trevor Nunn showed a lot of creativity and sense for details as it's usual for his adaptations. Concerning music - the atmosphere is being kept on the level of horror by Dracula-like organ tunes which emphasize turning points and thrilling moments.

Finally, I've never seen such a dark play before and I cannot imagine better adaptation of Macbeth than this one. I know...too much enthusiasm...but watch it Yourself and You'll see I have several reasons for this statement.

Overall rating: 92% (for now)

3 komentáře:

Inspired by Iceland